Pre-Health Professions Certificate Program
Academic Credit Certificate
The College of Science and Engineering offers a full-time, two-year program designed for students who already have a bachelors degree, to obtain prerequisite coursework necessary to apply for medical school. This program benefits students seeking to apply to dental, pharmacy, optometry, and veterinary medicine health profession schools.
This intensive program guides a cohort of 20-60 students through dedicated introductory science lecture and lab courses, discussion sections, clinical experience and a Health Professions Colloquium.
- Complete pre-requisite course work with guaranteed entrance into Program classes.
- Move through the Program as a cohort of up to 60 students.
- Class size is reasonable. Lectures will have up to 60 formal post-bacs, while labs and discussion sections have up to 30 formal post-bacs each.
- Auxiliary course work in the form of discussion sections will enhance learning.
- Individual and group help in writing personal statements and practicing for interviews.
- Allowed to take additional, non-Program course work as electives at a lower tuition.
- Provides at a nominal fee an optional "Post-Bac Bootcamp".
- Provides stress-management tools at nominal fees during the first summer.
- Helps participants find productive clinical experiences in the San Francisco Bay area.
- The Program strongly promotes admitting a diverse group of participants.
- Support of the Program Director, Program Assistant and a Faculty Committee.
- Modern teaching methods and health related information.
- Integration of the following into appropriate course material:
- The use of MCAT/DAT/GRE-style test questions.
- The use of case-based learning exercises (used in many health profession schools).
- Information on healthcare disparities and complementary and alternative medicine.
- MCAT/DAT/PCAT/OAT/GRE preparatory courses will be offered on campus at a discounted rate in collaboration with commercial providers.
Learn more about the Pre-Health Professions Certificate Program on Dr. Rothman's site.