Music/Recording Industry: Certificate
"Through the MRI program I have been offered a chance to see inside of the complex world of the recording industry, been given tools to navigate wisely, and have gained the knowledge necessary to earn a job in the field."
-Joy Thompson, MRI student and College Representative for Universal Music & Video Distribution
Music/Recording Industry Certificate
The certificate program requires completion of 24 semester units. 15 of these units are to be taken from a core of courses listed below and the remaining 9 may be chosen from the list of elective courses. Students are also required to take a minimum of two workshops, prior to completion of the program.
Music/Recording Industry Certificate Admission
To be admitted to the MRI program, students should have at least 56 units of academic credit with a minimum GPA of 2.0 or sufficient experience to demonstrate that they can perform upper division work. However, students who do not have 56 units are encouraged to apply and may be admitted to the program on a conditional basis.
Music/Recording Industry Certificate Application
- Certificate Application Form (PDF)
You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF files.
Accessibility Note: This PDF does not meet accessibility standards. If you encounter problems accessing the information, please contact us.
General Required Courses
- MRI 310 Beginning Music Recording Workshop (3 units)
- MRI 350 History of the Popular Music Industry (3 units)
- MRI 360 Legal Aspects of the Music/Recording Industry (3 units)
- MRI 315 Intermediate Music Recording Workshop (3 units)
- MRI 316 Pro Tools 101 (1 unit)
- MRI 320 Music Mixing Workshop (3 units)
- MRI 430 Advanced Audio Production I (Sharkbite Studios) (3 units)
- MRI 380 Field Study in Audio Engineering (Internship Course) (1-3 units)
- MRI 331 Applied Strategies (3 units)
- MRI 355 Music Industry Career Planning (2 units)
- MRI 362 Music Publishing (3 units)
- MRI 380 Field Study in Music Business (Internship course) (1-3 units)
- MRI 313 Digital DJ: Beats & Loops (2 units)
- MRI 317 Reason (2 units)
- MRI 318 Logic Audio Pro (2 units)
- MRI 327 The Role of the Record Producer (2 units)
- MRI 329 Behind the Stage (2 units)
- MRI 330 Music Business Publicity (3 units)
- MRI 333 Independent Radio Promotion (3 units)
- MRI 334 Popular Music Marketing (3 units)
- MRI 336 The Art & Business of Songwriting (2 units)
- MRI 338 Studio Training Workshop: Vocalists (2 units)
- MRI 340 Music Artist Management (3 units)
- MRI 341 Music Mastering (1 unit)
- MRI 342 The Art & Business of Hip-Hop (3 units)
- MRI 348 The Independent Record Label: A-Z (3 units)
- MRI 349 Independent Label Operations (3 units)
- MRI 352 Artist & Repertoire (3 units)
- MRI 370 Seminar in the Music/Recording Industry (1-3 units)
Topics vary and are offered on a rotating basis.
- MRI 530 Advanced Audio Production II (Sharkbite Studios) (3 units)
- MRI 625 Live Concert Sound (1 unit)
Additional elective courses and workshops are announced to students as they are offered.
Did you know? SF State's Multimedia Studies courses may apply towards your Music/Recording Industry Program certificate?