Spanish/English Interpretation (Legal/Court)
Academic Credit Certificate
"So the Truth is Not Lost in Translation"
"Para que la Verdad no se Pierda en la Traducción"
Spanish/English Interpretation Certificate Education
The Only Spanish/English (Legal/Court) Interpretation Certificate Training School in the Bay Area
This academic certificate program is designed to develop the interpreting skills necessary for service as a Spanish/English interpreter in the courts, in state agencies, and in the medical evaluation system of workers' compensation. It is specifically designed to prepare participants to pass the State of California Court Interpreter Certification Exam. The program faculty are state-certified court interpreters.
Spanish/English Interpretation Brochure
Download the brochure for this program.
Spanish/English Interpretation Brochure (PDF)
You will need Adobe Reader to view this PDF file.
Accessibility Note: This PDF does not meet accessibility standards. If you encounter problems accessing the information, please contact us.
Limited financial aid is available for this program. For further information, see our financial aid section, and go to the SF State Financial Aid site. Students should start the financial aid application process as soon as possible. Note: You must be accepted to the program before financial aid will be awarded.
For Financial Aid questions, please contact 415.338.2765, email@example.com.
Program Data Disclosure
The U.S. Department of Education requires that we disclose the information below for this financial aid-eligibile certificate program.
- Occupations the Program Prepares Students to Enter: The Spanish/English Interpretation Program prepares students for positions as Interpreters and Translators (SOC code 27-3091). See the Occupational Outlook Handbook - Interpreters and Translators for more information about these positions.
- Program Cost: For those entering the program as of the spring 2014 semester, the total cost of all six courses required to earn the certificate is approximately $3,582, plus a $50 non-refundable application fee. Fees are charged on a course-by-course basis each semester and are subject to change. Texts and elective courses are additional.
- On-Time Completion Rate: The program is designed so participants can complete requirements in
For the 2011-12 academic year, 29 students earned a certificate in this program, and 22 of these students (76%) completed the program within 15-24 months.
- Job Placement Rate: The job placement rate for students who completed the program in 2009-10, based on those graduates who responded to surveys sent by Extended Learning staff, is 47%.
- Median Loan Debt: Based on data from 2012-13, the median Title IV loan debt for financial aid students in this certificate program was $5,382 and the average Title IV loan debt was $7,370. No students incurred a private educational loan debt for this program in 2012-13.