Anyone with a valid non-immigrant visa may enroll in SF State Extended Learning courses. Although enrollment in SF State Extended Learning is not considered admission to SF State, an I-20 ("Certificate of Eligibility") for F-1 student status will be issued when students are accepted into a full-time certificate program in SF State Extended Learning and require a student visa to enter the country.
The designated programs for which an I-20 for F-1 student visa can be issued are:
Academic Certificate Programs
CEU Certificate Program
[Continuing Education Units (CEU) are nationally recognized units for measuring participation in professional development programs which do not award academic credit. One CEU is earned for 10 hours of instruction.]
Students entering the U.S. using an F-1 visa must maintain full-time student status during the time they are enrolled in an approved certificate program at SF State Extended Learning.
Spend your summer in San Francisco. SF State welcomes international students.
Fall 2013 Application Deadlines
- Certificate Application for International Students and the Certificate Application for Academic Programs are due in the Extended Learning office by Wednesday, May 29.
- International Application, TOEFL scores and all other supporting documentation are due in the Extended Learning office by Wednesday, June 12, 2013.
Spring 2014 Application Deadlines
- Certificate Application for International Students and the Certificate Application for Academic Programs are due in the Extended Learning office by Monday, October 21, 2013.
- International Application, TOEFL scores and all other supporting documentation are due in the Extended Learning office by Monday, November 4, 2013.
Applications & Fees
There is a $50 application fee to process the Certificate Application for Academic Programs or the Digital Video Intensive Certificate Application. There is one exception. The fee to process the Certificate Application for Academic Programs for the International Business Certificate Program is $100. These applications will be reviewed by the Program Director. If accepted into the Certificate Program, a letter of acceptance will be emailed to you.
Once you have been accepted into a Certificate Program, you must complete an International Student Application. The non-refundable application fee is $600. Checks or Money Orders only made payable to SFSU-CEL.
Mail all application forms and checks to:
SF State College of Extended Learning
International Student Application
835 Market Street, 6th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103-1901
If you have any questions, please contact:
Evaluation and admissions requirements for certificate programs are for certificates only. If you decide to apply to any other program or degree at SF State, your academic preparation will be reevaluated for that program. For more information regarding F-1 students at SF State, please visit The OIP page for F-1 Visa International Student Services.
If you are going to be attending courses in the US, and you would like to stregthen your English Skills, read about SF State's American Language Institute.
If you are already working or studying in the US and would like to perfect your professional English skills, read about our English for Professional Purposes (ESL) program.
You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF files.
- Step-by-Step Student Checklist
- Student Fees
- Application for All Other Certificates
- Digital Video Intensive Certificate Application
Accessibility Note: These PDFs do not meet accessibility standards. If you encounter problems accessing the information, please contact us.